GLOBUS 2020: Portugal in Depth (ZP)
11 days from Lisbon to Lisbon
Call 1 (800) 658-0869 for more information or to book today! Mention code 14594665
- Tour Operator
- Offer valid through 12/31/2019
- 11 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Lisbon||Welcome to Lisbon! At 6 pm, meet your Tour Director and traveling companions for a welcome dinner at your hotel. (D)|
|Day 2||Lisbon||Lisbon was the center of Europe's longest-lived overseas empire. Portugal's imperial ambitions date back to Prince Henry the Navigator's 15th-century discoveries in West Africa. Morning sightseeing with a Local Guide features a drive through the Baixa quarter's main squares and a walk along the cobblestone alleys of quaint ALFAMA, the popular quarter of seamen and Fado singers. Drive along the grand Avenida da Liberdade up to Pombal Square, and stop for pictures of Belem Tower and the Monument to the Discoveries. Also visit JERONIMOS MONASTERY with the tomb of Vasco da Gama. An optional excursion is available to the royal palace of Queluz, as well as dinner at a typical taverna with Fado-style entertainment. (B)|
|Day 3||Tomar||Stop in medieval Obidos and go back in time as you pass the main gate in the impressive perimeter wall and walk along the narrow streets. Then onto the fishing harbor of Nazare, the perfect place for a leisurely break. Continue to Alcobaca to visit the CHURCH OF SANTA MARIA MONASTERY, built in the 12th century for 999 Cistercian monks. See the elaborate tombs of King Pedro I and his Castilian lover, Ines de Castro. In the afternoon, mix with the pilgrims at the country's hallowed national shrine, Fatima's SANCTUARY OF OUR LADY OF THE HOLY ROSARY. Overnight in Tomar, former seat of the mighty Order of the Knights Templar.Today's Distance: 137 mi / 220 km (B,D)|
|Day 4||Porto||Visit the hilltop CONVENT OF CHRIST, which was constructed in the late 12th century and became the headquarters of the Order in Portugal. Hear about the fascinating history and admire its famous Manueline Window. Continue to Coimbra, strategically situated on a hill overlooking the Mondego River. After a visit to the 700-year-old UNIVERSITY, drive by ancient Bucaco Forest on your way to Porto, Portugal's second-largest city. Tonight, why not join an optional cruise on the Douro River, followed by dinner at one of Porto's fine restaurants?Today's Distance: 155 mi / 250 km (B)|
|Day 5||Porto||Sightseeing with a Local Guide includes a panoramic drive to the mouth of the Douro River, the soaring cathedral, the richly decorated CHURCH OF SAO FRANCISCO, the most important gothic monument in Porto and UNESCO World Heritage Site. Also visit the STOCK EXCHANGE with its contemporary ARABIAN HALL, inspired by Granada's Alhambra. Of course, [LF] a PORT WINE TASTING has been included at the famous Sandeman & Co. Port Wine Cellar to sample the delicious wine produced from grapes of the Douro Valley. (B)|
|Day 6||Viseu||In Guimaraes, often referred to as the 'Cradle of Portugal' because of its association with the country's first king, Alfonso Henriques, follow your Tour Director for a pleasant walk through the medieval center. Next, [LF] taste Portuguese tapas at the Quinta da Aveleda WINERY and visit its splendid GARDENS. From here, a scenic road through the port wine vineyards leads to Viseu, where dinner with local specialties and wine awaits at Forno da Mimi restaurant.Today's Distance: 193 mi / 310 km (B,D)|
|Day 7||VISEEVORA||This morning, stop in Belmonte, for a visit of the JEWISH MUSEUM. Also enjoy [LF] an OLIVE OIL TASTING, for which the area is famous. Take an afternoon break in lovely Castelo de Vide, one of the best-preserved medieval fortified towns in Portugal. The Jewish quarter with its white-washed houses and its medieval synagogue are worth seeing. Before arriving in Evora, the cultural center of southern Portugal, visit [LF] a CORK FACTORY and learn about the many ways this material can be used.Today's Distance: 236 mi / 380 km (B,D)|
|Day 8||Algarve||A massive wall surrounds Evora's medieval center, classified as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Follow your Local Guide on a walking tour through its narrow alleys to the Roman Temple, the early gothic CATHEDRAL, Portas de Moura fountain, and SaO FRANCISCO CHURCH. Visit the OSSUARY CHAPEL, whose walls are covered with thousands of human bones and skulls. Next, proceed across the arid Alentejo plain to the Algarve, Portugal's most popular seaside area. Tonight, why not try one of the seafood restaurants for which the Algarve is famous?Today's Distance: 162 mi / 260 km (B)|
|Day 9||Algarve Coastal Excursion||Highlight today is a visit to the wind-swept PROMONTORY OF SAGRES, where Henry the Navigator lived and planned his overseas expansion. Only a few miles away is Cape St. Vincent, the southwestern corner of continental Europe, a dramatic cliff defying the powerful waves of the Atlantic Ocean. Time to wander around Lagos before returning to your hotel.Today's Distance: 155 mi / 250 km (B)|
|Day 10||Lisbon||Take the scenic route over the Serra da Arrabida and savor sweeping views of the Troia Peninsula. Catch glimpses of the castle at Sesimbra, which recall fierce medieval battles between Christians and Moors. Stop in Azeitao to visit a traditional TILE WORKSHOP. After crossing the Bridge of April 25th, you're back in Lisbon. Tonight, enjoy [LF] a spectacular panoramic view at Varanda restaurant while having a cocktail and a farewell dinner with your traveling companions.Today's Distance: 180 mi / 290 km (B,D)|
|Day 11||Lisbon||Your vacation ends with breakfast this morning. (B)|
- US$ Price Details
Prices are per person, based on double room occupancy.Single room supplement: $540-$720Triple room reduction per person: $50Additional accommodations before or after your tour may be available.
Travel Terms & Conditions
The purchase of any travel services offered by Globus, constitutes a contractual arrangement between you (the Traveler) and Globus, and represents your acceptance of the Terms & Conditions. Please ensure that you read carefully and understand the Terms & Conditions prior to booking. These Terms & Conditions cover Deposit & Final Payment information, Air-Inclusive Deposits & Final Payment, Revisions & Revision Fees, Air Arrangements, Participation, Travelers Who Need Special Assistance, Young Travelers, Smoking, Price Policy, Visas and Passports, Hotels & Accommodations, Baggage Allowance, Travel Documents, Not Included in the Land Price, Refunds, Service Inquires After the Vacation, Holidays, Safety, Photos & Pictures, Optional Excursions, and Responsibility.
- Vacation departures, itineraries and prices are subject to change.
- A non-refundable, non-transferable deposit is required for Globus to reserve space for you. View Terms & Conditions for limited exceptions.
- The following charges are not included in the land vacation price unless otherwise noted: airfare to and from the start of your vacation; Intra-vacation air unless specified in the itinerary; airline baggage fees including checked and/or excess baggage fees; Federal inspection fees for the Federal U.S. Customs and Immigrations; International Air Transportation tax; agricultural tax; other per person taxes imposed by government entities; airport taxes and fees including the September 11th Security fee up to $11.20 per person, passenger facility charges up to $18 per person, Federal domestic flight segment fees up to $4.00 per segment, and U.S. and International arrival and departure and other government-imposed added by the airline and applicable at time of booking; port taxes; passports; visas (except on Cuba programs) and vaccinations; tips to your Tour or Cruise Director, Globus Group Leader in Cuba, Local Host, driver, Local Guides, and/or ship's crew; gratuities on ferries, trains, and cruise ships; laundry; telephone; minibar; alcohol, beverages, and food outside of the contracted Globus menu as presented at a hotel or restaurant or onboard your vessel (these extra items will be billed to you before leaving the hotel, ship, or restaurant); airport transfers on non-qualifying flights; optional excursions; additional activities and excursions purchased online; porterage at airports and train stations; Travel Protection; and all other items of a personal nature.
Booking your Vacation with Air
For air departure dates within 331 days, you'll be offered a choice of carriers and flight schedules as well as price points to choose from when selecting your flights. Your schedule will be provided to you at the time of booking (schedules are subject to change by carriers). Globus offers 2 air options: Flex Air and Instant Purchase Air. Flex Air allows flexibility if you want to make changes to your vacation schedule. Instant Purchase Air may offer additional airline options but has more restrictions. Some vacations may only offer one Air type option. Guaranteed air-inclusive prices: air is only available to passengers traveling from the United States and only available when booked in conjunction with a land vacation. An additional $300 per person non-refundable air deposit is required for Flex Air booked in conjunction with any land vacation (i.e. air-inclusive vacation). Air can only be booked by Globus in conjunction with a vacation package. Instant Purchase Air requires air payment in full at time of booking (i.e. air-inclusive vacation) plus non-refundable per person service fee ($30 for North/Central America, $50 for Europe/Middle East and $80 for all other destinations. Once booked, Instant Purchase Air is non-refundable, and non-changeable. Some vacations may only offer one Air type option. However, once your airfare is confirmed and Globus has received your full air and land deposit, your air-inclusive vacation price is guaranteed.
Air-Inclusive Vacations - Applicable Taxes & Fees
Air-inclusive vacations include government-imposed taxes and fees applicable at the time of booking and will be shown as a Total Amount. Additional airline fees for baggage may apply. At the time of booking your air-inclusive vacation online, carrier Websites will be provided to check baggage fees, or you can visit www.iflybags.com for up-to-date baggage pricing/restrictions. For return travel from some countries, international travelers are required to pay entry and/or exit fees at the airport. These fees will be collected by the local government and are payable by the traveler at time of travel. Your confirmation booking information will contain information about these fees.
* The "Starting at" or listed price is based on the lowest price available to book. Price is per passenger based on double occupancy and does not include airfare; additional fees/charges are not included. If a price is crossed out, the new price shown includes a limited time promotional offer(s) - please review current promotions or deals for additional information. Some tours require intra-vacation flights (and in some cases intra-vacation segments must be purchased from Globus).